Thursday 29 April 2010

A lunchtime treat

Flushed with my triumph over the roofing sheet mountain, I felt that I deserved a little pampering on my Saturday shopping expedition.

The first port of call, as ever, was Derek the Fishmonger, where I found a nice piece of Cornish plaice for my Sunday lunch. Then I spotted the scallops. And dive-caught scallops at that.


I don't know why I like scallops so much. There is something ever so slightly indelicately gynaecological about their appearance, but I can rarely resist buying them. Sadly these didn't come with their built-in plates, but I was sure they could form the basis of a lunchtime treat.

Back at home, I checked the greenhouse to see if there was anything edible.
Still very little unfortunately, apart from a few radish and rocket thinnings. The herb bed yielded some very healthy chives and a few leaves of lemon balm and fennel that were starting to poke their heads above the soil.


Fortunately I had visited the farm shop on my way back home, and bought some crunchy romaine lettuce and a few self-indulgent cherry tomatoes. I know they don't really taste of anything much at this time of year, but I fancied a bit of colour with my lunch. They also had in chorizo from Wenlock Edge Farm. I hadn't tried their chorizo before, but their coppa and salami is excellent, so it was worth a try.

Lunch was more an operation in assembly, rather than cooking as such.
Chop the chorizo into coins, dry fry until the fat runs. Then add the scallops and fry for a minute on each side.

That's it - simply serve with a nice salad and balsamic dressing, and arrange as attractively as a person with limited artistic abilities can manage.

No comments:

Post a Comment